OOW super Prep CoursE
Who is it for?
Someone who is serious about passing their OOW 3000gt (Yacht)
Duration: 2 weeks - BLENDED/IMMERSIVE LEARNING
Maximum 4 students
This course has been specially designed due to feedback from my previous 1 week course students. Crew told me they were ready but some wished they had longer to absorb all the information and practice with the study props within the house. As we know everyone learns differently and at different speeds, the syllabus is huge and the content important, so have designed a super immersive blended 2-week OOW course.
How does it work?
Firstly I send you pre-study in the form of a kindle/my personal eBook/study list/online quizzes/Fred's quiz app from the apple store, to make sure you are fully prepared and on track before your course begins. Once you arrive I fully immerse you within the house with all the various study props and up-to-date publications. Now let the fun beginning - Rules, lights buoyage and chart work, the primary responsibility of the OOW. I have designed a structured lesson plan following the syllabus from A-Z and teach with a mixture of individual, group and one-on-one learning. I allow down time to catch up with your personal study, which includes the famous iPad/app. The last few days are spent perfecting your knowledge with up-to-date past papers and making sure you can deliver in a mock examination. Please see below for more detailed information.
- Pre study
- Step-by-step study list.
- Kindle - my personally written eBook that works through the syllabus, including my source material - sent approximately 6-8 weeks before the course.
- Initial online quizzes – sent at various intervals to make sure you are studying efficiently.
- Fred's quiz app from the apple store - I send you a free link
- Book your exam on your behalf– we track examine centres and provide cover letters to take the stress away.
- Provide great accommodation – We have found that most students not only learn better but prefer to stay in accommodation together, this keeps costs down and provides you with a higher standard of housing. We want you to be comfortable, as know the importance of a good nights sleep and a great study environment. Therefore we have recently sourced "Freds House" a 4-bedroom/2 bathroom/2 reception house. Its conveniently situated 1/2 mile from Cowes Redjet Ferry Terminal/High Street. The house is available from Sunday-to-Sunday, thus allowing everyone to settle in the night before and taking full advantage of Fred's study props without feeling rushed. Also as my wife was a chief stewardess, we also have our own Egyptian sheets/towels, coffee machine, bullet blender, fast internet, printer, washing machine/iron, personal desks in room, welcome pack and lots more to make your stay hassle free. This is purposely designed for super yacht crew.
- Fully immersive and personal – I teach a maximum of 4 students in a fully immersive environment. Another benefit is that you waste no time commuting between the classroom – I teach from your accommodation so your precious time is utilised.
- Best teaching equipment – Apple of course, plus all the up-to-date props the examiners use.
- Fred's study notes – approx 342 pages - I update continuously.
- One dedicated teacher who keeps continuity in teaching style.
- Fred’s iPad – to be used for additional study during the course. It took 6 months to create and has my entire course within an iPad with 38 hours of video and 489 quizzes. Should you miss something in the day, or like to test your knowledge, the iPad app is a great way to recap.
- Mock exam – performed in my office at the Cowes Harbour Commission to make the experience as real as possible. We use an independent source/examiner to identify your strengths and weaknesses. We also record your mock exam to see how good you look in your suit, but also for you to see if you have any bad habits :-)
- Learning as an individual, together and one-on-one – everyone learns in different ways and I have allowed for this. However as this is an oral exam, we also need to practice projecting ourselves vocally.
- Blended learning whilst covering the A-Z of the syllabus – due to student feedback, I have days scheduled in for you to recap and study – it’s a huge amount of information to take in all at once so have catered for this. It also gives you time to play with all my various props/teaching aids and up-to-date publications.
- Exam techniques - with a degree in psychology I perfect your responses and make sure you use key words the examiner needs to hear.
- Past exam papers – up-to-date.
- Support during and after - Not only will I support you during the teaching process, but my wife will help with all the other little things. As a previous chief boat stewardess/flight purser she understands the constraints of trying to organise your courses/travel/accommodation/immigration letters/suit/cover letters etc so will be there to help. Also should you do the unthinkable (sorry will not even say the word) we will provide you with a specially designed USB stick, which has recorded your entire personal course (yes big brother) for free and book another exam.